Only one outstanding feature of the distillery remains – St. Patrick’s Tower, at 150ft high, a very famous landmark on Dublin’s horizon.
This smock windmill – quite possibly the oldest of its kind in Europe – was built in 1757, the same year Peter Roe bought his original distillery, and although geographically at the heart of the distilling complex, it was never part of the distilling operation itself. The striking copper clad cupola is topped by a figure of St. Patrick carrying a mitre and a crozier. This beautiful landmark is now part of the Digital Hub complex and although accessible to view from the car park where it now stands, it is not open.
ST. PATRICK'S TOWER