BRIDGES ALONG THE GRAND CANAL

A STREET PHOTOGRAPHER WHO LIKES DOING STUFF

BRIDGES ACROSS THE GRAND CANAL
General MacMahon Bridge is a new fixed bridge opened in 2008, replacing a 1950's steel lifting bridge. Its predecessor was an iron swing bridge built in 1857 which in turn replaced a wooden drawbridge built in the 1790's.


Victoria Bridge carries CIE's southbound services and the DART rapid transit system which runs around Dublin Bay. From the basin it looks more like a tunnel. It lies at the end of the upper basin beyond the Waterways Visitor Centre.

Maquay Bridge was named after George Maquay a director of the Grand Canal Company in the 1790's. When the bridge was rebuilt and the road widened the balance beams of the lower gates were removed and winches substituted.

McKenny Bridge carries Lower Mount Street across the canal and was originally called Conyngham Bridge. Thomas McKenny was chairman of the canal board on five occasions and knighted in the 1890's while he was Lord Mayor of Dublin.

Huband Bridge is more ornate than the the other canal bridges because Joseph Huband paid for them himself. A barrister and director of the company he remained on the board almost continuously until his death in 1835.

Macartney Bridge. Baggot Street Bridge's official name is Macartney Bridge after the John Macartney who was knighted at the opening of Ringsend Docks in 1796. A short distance away is a bronze statue of Patrick Kavanagh, the poet, sitting on a canalside seat.

Leeson Street's Eustace Bridge was named after Colonel Charles Eustace MP another director of the company. Moorings convenient for visiting the City Centre are provided along this stretch of the canal at Mespil Road.

Charlmont Bridge was called after Charlmont Street which in turn was named after the Earl of Charlmont. The Earl was the General of the Irish Volunteers and a friend of Henry Gratton.


Portobello Bridge is also known as La Touch Bridge. It crosses the canal by the Portobello Hotel which used to be a major staging post in the city where travellers boarded for the trip west.

Clanbrassil Bridge was rebuilt in 1935-36 and renamed Emmet Bridge in honour of Robert Emmet, the leader of the ill fated 1803 rebellion. A bronze commemorating this event is set in stone on the bridge itself.

Parnell Bridge is named after the great-great-grandfather of Charles Stewart Parnell. Sir John Parnell was Chancellor of the Exchequer in 1787 and a director of the company.

Camac Bridge, the bridge at Dolphins Barn, is not named after the nearby river but after another director of the Canal company Turner Camac.


Harberton Bridge carries Herberton Road over the canal. The bridge originally a wooden one was replaced by a concrete structure in 1938.was called after Lord Harberton yet another Director. The road was called after Herberton House which was in fact called after the canal bridge but misspelt!


Griffith Bridge (called after another director) is now cut off from the main road network but until the building of Suir Road Bridge in 1938 carried all the traffic on what was even then a busy road.

A new bridge was constructed to carry the LUAS light railway system into the city. The unusual angle at this point is due to the fact that this was the junction at which the Old Main Line carried straight on to James Street Harbour.

Suir Road Bridge is the point at which the boats on the famous Rally that came by Road were lifted back into the canal on their way into Dublin for the 1998 Rally.