LAMP POST COLLECTION

A STREET PHOTOGRAPHER WHO LIKES DOING STUFF

LAMP POST COLLECTION IN MERRION SQUARE

The construction of the Georgian houses at Merrion Square began in 1762 and continued for 30 years.  The earliest plan of the park shows a double line of trees around the perimeter which was later enclosed by railings in the early years of the 19th century.  A 'Jardin Anglaise' approach was adopted for the layout of the park with contoured grass areas, informal tree clumps, sunken curved paths and perimeter planting.
Merrion Square soon became a fashionable address for the aristocracy and the professional classes.  The park was purchased from the Pembroke Estate by the Roman Catholic Church in 1930 for 100,000 as a site for a cathedral.  However, this project never materialised and in 1974 the then Archbishop, Dermot Ryan, transferred the 4.75 hectares (11.7 acres) to Dublin Corporation for use a public park.
Notable features of the park include many fine sculptures; the Rutland Memorial; a collection of old Dublin lamp posts; a central floral garden; heather garden and playground.  What was once the preserve of local privileged keyholders is now a public park to match the best in Europe and a successful adaptation of a typical Georgian Square to modern intensive public usage.

LOADING