PHOTOGRAPHED BY WILLIAM MURPHY

JOHN F. KENNEDY MEMORIAL PARK IN GALWAY
John F. Kennedy Memorial Park is an inner-city public park in Galway, Ireland, formerly officially named Eyre Square (Irish: An Fhaiche Mhór) and still widely known by that name. The park is within the city centre, adjoining the nearby shopping area of William Street and Shop Street. Galway station is adjacent to Eyre Square.

The origin of the square comes from medieval open space in front of town gate, known as The Green. Markets mostly took place in the northern part of the space. The earliest endeavour to glamourise it was recorded in 1631. Some ash-trees were planted and the park was enclosed by a wooden fence. The plot of land that became Eyre Square was officially presented to the city in 1710 by Mayor Edward Eyre, from whom it took its name.

In 1801, General Meyrick erected a stone wall around the square, which was later known as Meyrick Square. In the middle of the 19th century, the whole park underwent a redevelopment in Georgian style. In the 1960s, a full-scale reconstruction started and iron railings were removed and raised around the backyard of St. Nicholas' Collegiate Church, and in 1965 the park reopened with a new name.

In 1965, the square was officially renamed "John F. Kennedy Memorial Park" in honour of John F. Kennedy, who visited Galway city and made a speech in the square on 29 June 1963, the first U.S. president to do so during his term of office.

A redevelopment of the square began in 2004. There was some controversy when it was reported that the building contractors had left the site and were not returning. The square reopened on 13 April 2006 having cost €9.6 million to redevelop. The finished square received the Irish Landscape Institute Design Award in 2007.


LOADING