ZOZIMUZ LOVES HIS CAMERA

WIDE ANGLE VIEWS OF THE FORMER RICHMOND HOSPITAL
At the edge of Grangegorman, the Richmond Surgical Hospital was constructed in the 1890s to replace a former convent that had been in use since 1807. The Richmond was designed by James Rawson Carroll and Frederick Batchelor, and it opened formally in 1901.

The Richmond was originally part of a complex of 3 hospitals, collectively known as ‚“St. Laurence’s“, the Richmond, Whitworth and Hardwick.

In 1994, the Richmond and the Whitworth were converted for use as business incubation centres to help deal with high unemployment in the inner city. The experiment led to the launch of a range of new enterprises which capitalised on the impressive redbrick, copper-domed Richmond to show as the address of the businesses.

In 1996 The Richmond was leased by the Government for use as District courts. The complex housed five of the Dublin District Courts until the opening of the new Criminal Courts of Justice.

In 2013 if was put on the market at €3.5 million through the Space Property Group.

In 2014 it was announced that the INMO (Nurses And Midwives’ Union) are planning to develop the former Richmond Hospital as an education and events centre, after acquiring the property for €2.9 million.

LOADING