BALBRIGGAN | TOWNS AND VILLAGES

By Zozimuz

BALBRIGGAN
Balbriggan is 32 km north of Dublin city, on the Belfast–Dublin main line of the Irish rail network. Commuter rail services serve Balbriggan railway station, which opened on 25 May 1844 and closed for goods traffic on 2 December 1974.

It is estimated that about 2,200 commuters use the station every working day. The town is also located next to the M1 motorway (the section known as the Balbriggan Bypass), which was completed in 1998. Prior to this, the main Dublin-Belfast road went through the centre of the town, with major traffic congestion on a daily basis.

Bus service is provided by Dublin Bus routes 33, 33A and 33X as well as Bus Eireann routes 101 (Dublin-Drogheda) and 104 (Balbriggan Town service).

Balbriggan is the most northerly town in County Dublin/Fingal (although the village of Balscadden lies further north within the county), and is situated very close to Bettystown, Laytown (County Meath) and Drogheda (County Louth).

Balbriggan experienced a population boom in the early part of the 2000s as a result of the demand for housing within the wider Dublin region. The population has increased as a result, with hundreds of new homes being built.

LOADING